Jacob Hedberg takes 12th at state

Photo provided by VIP photography

Jacob Hedberg (’18) competes at state.

Izzy Rich, Editor and Chief

Jacob Hedberg (‘18) earned 12th place for diving at the state competition, which was on Feb. 26 and Feb. 27 at Evanston High School. On Feb. 20, Hedberg had received second place at the sectional competition at Jefferson High School, qualifying him to compete at state.

In the beginning of the meet, there were 48 total divers. This narrowed down to 16 in the semifinals and 12 in the finals. The pressure was high, according to Hedberg.

“It was a very humbling experience to dive against divers who are the best in the state,” said Hedberg. “I feel fortunate that I was able to qualify for finals. It was the toughest competition I have ever faced.”

To prepare for state, Hedberg spent several hours training with his coach, Coach Ginger Beck. He practiced four days a week at Harlem High School, along with meets on Saturdays. They went over dives which they believed needed more work numerous times. As the only diver on the boys team, Hedberg had two hour practices by himself. He performed about 100 dives per practice.

“She challenged and pushed me, and at the same time she encouraged me to do my best. It was a team effort. I would not have made it to state without her support,” said Hedberg.

Hedberg is a two- time state finalist. At state last year, Hedberg took 11th place. According to his coach, he accomplished what he set out to do.

“Jacob did an amazing job all season,” said Coach Ginger Beck. “He sets goals before every big meet, and this year he has made all these goals. The state meet was just an amazing way to end his season.”

In his off-season, Hedberg continues working on his diving at Boylan High School and Windy City Diving in Chicago.