Science Olympiad Ends Their Season

Photo provided by Courtney Huhta

Science Olympiad group photo after regionals at RVC

Kayla Vittore, Reporter

North’s Science Olympiad team had a successful end this year, placing 6th in their Regional event at Rock Valley College.  Science Olympiad is an academic club, where students compete in either test or build events focused on science, math, and ingenuity.  Last year, Belvidere North’s team, consisting of mostly seniors, qualified for state for the first time in school history.  While the team didn’t make it to state this year, returning members like Max Vittore (‘16) still said they enjoyed competing.

“I think the team did really well, we improved our whole skills throughout the season,” said Vittore.  From the beginning to the end of the season, the group improved their placing in their respective events and grew closer as a team.  “Science Olympiad was fun, entertaining, and I learned a lot,” said Molly Carrick (‘19)

“Science Olympiad was honestly the best experience ever.  It gave me positive educational experiences and time to hang-out with my friends,” said Arthur Vinke (‘18).  Vinke is one of many underclassmen that joined the Science Olympiad team this year.  Not only that, but out of the entire team only three people had competed in Science Olympiad before.  Despite inexperience and a difficult learning curve, the students managed to move from the bottom of the pack to the top group of regionals.

“This year’s team surpassed our expectations,” said Mr. Jason Hain, the team’s coach, “Considering only three members returned from last year and we had 25 members join, we are very proud of what they have accomplished.”

After the success of this season, the Science Olympiad team is setting its goals high for next year.

“Coaching this team is one of the most important jobs I have at North.  Next year, we want to field two full competitive teams and qualify for the state competition”, said Mrs. Rathbun, the other Science Olympiad coach.  Science Olympiad will start again next fall, and most of those involved are looking forward to its return.

“Most of this school is really boring,” said Luke Morrison (‘17), “but Science Olympiad was honestly the most fun I’ve had here all year.”