Owning an Exotic Pet

Photo provided by Sam Brown ('17)

North student Sam Brown’s pet bearded dragon, George

Lizzy Darling, Reporter

Around the halls of Belvidere North, the lives of students outside of school are mostly unknown to the classmates around them.  Something as simple as the pets they have in their homes may surprise those who don’t know them.  

Jason Rodgers (‘17) has a parrot named Boomer.  “We have had Boomer since I was born and it just wanders the house all day,” said Rodgers (‘17).

Exotic animal sales have shocked many people in America and other countries.  Animals such as a Tarantula, a Bearded Dragon,  a Hedgehog, a Squirrel Monkey, and a Chimpanzee are all animals that can be legally sold.  

Sam Brown (‘17) has a Bearded Dragon named George.“My brother and I wanted a reptile, and the worker at the pet shop recommended a bearded dragon because they are easy to handle,” said Brown (‘17).  

When someone says they have an animal other than a dog or cat, others may assume that the animals could be dangerous to the owner.  Of course all animals if not contained or trained well can be harmful to those who are handling the animal.

“George isn’t dangerous, but he has mistaken my finger for food and snapped at me,” said Brown (‘17), “but he has never harmed me on purpose or attacked me.”    

On the other hand, Boomer, Rodger’s parrot, is not as friendly when it comes to meeting new people.

Owning an exotic animal has many pros and cons, such as not following the social norms of having a dog, cat or fish, but also risking the household if they are not trained well.