Which Computer Fits Your Major?

Photo taken from

An Apple laptop like the one pictured is just one option for your college computer

Silvia Diaz, News Editor

Heading off to college requires several purchases that range from overpriced textbooks to nutritionally questionable food items. While no one really cares about the details of the processed cheese product they top crackers with, your needs and your major’s needs should be addressed with more care. For that reason, here is a list of great computers for four top-majors right now.

Medical/Nursing Students: Even with differences between programs and schools, medical/nursing students should expect to work with Microsoft Office and view high-definition images. At some point, they may even need to use statistics software. For a computer capable of lasting through a future residency, consider the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 2-in-1. The laptop-tablet hybrid boasts a sixth generation Intel i5 processor and Windows 10 Pro with a 256GB Solid State Drive standard, all wrapped in a simple design completed by the machine’s stunning visuals.

Business Majors: From intense note taking to spur of the moment brainstorming sessions about ‘the next big thing,’ business majors should have a computer that’s fully equipped to help make dreams into reality. For that, consider the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460, another laptop-tablet hybrid. This play on the original ThinkPad design brings the new ThinkPad Pen Pro, ideal for writing out ideas on the machine’s 14-inch FHD IPS display that can be upgraded to a WQHD for $100 more. Running Windows 10 Home and hosting the sixth generation Intel i5 processor, the ThinkPad Yoga 460 is sure to satisfy the needs of a typical business student.

Engineering Majors: One thing to keep in mind when selecting a computer as an engineering student is the amount and type of programs the machine will need to handle. The minimum requirements to run SolidWorks 2016 alone include 8GB of RAM and a dedicated graphics card. To keep up with such demands, consider Lenovo’s Ideapad Y700 Touch. The gaming laptop, even with minimal customizations, can easily meet the needs of engineering students with base level 8GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce graphics card and Solid State Drive options. Also standard on the machine are the sixth generation Intel i7 processor and Windows 10 Home 64 (upgrade-able to Pro for $30 more).

Psychology Majors: The computing demands of psychology students allow for more freedom when choosing a machine for college. You’ll probably need typical word processing programs, along with an entertainment hub for down time. The ultra-thin and ultra-portable Apple MacBook Air (13-inch) provides a good balance between work and play. Apple claims on their site the 13” MacBook’s battery lasts up to 12 hours, with a battery test conducted by Laptop Mag having the machine last 14 hours before the battery giving out. Pair battery life with the sixth generation Intel i5 processor and flash storage to create a well-rounded computer for psych majors.