Five bands and artists that deserve more attention

Paige Weigle, reporter

Not all great rock bands and artists make it to the Top 40 Charts. Here’s a list of 5 talented musicians (in no particular order)  that should be getting more attention, whether they’ve released a new album this year, or are an up and coming artist.

• Hippo Campus is an indie rock band from St. Paul, Minnesota that features very a colorful sound and upbeat melodies and vocals. The band includes Jake Luppen (vocals/guitar), Nathan Stocker (guitar/vocals), Zach Sutton (bass) and Whistler Allen (drums/vocals). The band was formed in 2013 when all the members met each other in high school and started playing music together after most of them played in different bands. Hippo Campus independently released their first EP, Bashful Creatures, then later re-released it under their new label after they signed with Grand Jury records on February 25, 2015. Hippo Campus released their sophomore EP, South, in October. They have played support acts for bands like My Morning Jacket, Modest Mouse, and Walk the Moon and will be touring this upcoming June with Oketo. (Photo provided by www.idsnews.com)Hippo Campus - Paige
  • The Zolas are a Canadian rock band from Vancouver, made up of Zachary Gray (vocals/guitar) and Tom Dobrzanski (vocals/piano). Their debut album, Tic Toc Tic, was released in November of 2009 and several songs that were heavily rotated on the XM satellite radio station, The Verge and were considered the 4th most heavily-tracked band on the radio station and were also nominated for an Album of the Year at The Verge XM Awards in 2011. The Zolas’ sophomore album, Ancient Mars, was released in October of 2012. They just released their newest album, Swooner, on March 4, 2016. (Photo provided by pinkmafia.ca)The Zolas - Paige
  • Mac DeMarco is a Canadian singer/songwriter and producer. He is best known for his solo career, in which he has released four studio albums, Rock and Roll Night Club (2012), 2 (2012), Salad Days (2014) and Another One (2015). Mac DeMarco has gained popularity over the past couple years and is known for his unique, laid back sound some describe as “slacker rock”. With the release of his latest album, he also released a nine track instrumental album, Some Other Ones, on July 8, 2015. (Photo provided by www.rollingstone.com)AUSTIN, TX - OCTOBER 04:  Mac DeMarco performs during the Austin City Limits Music Festival at Zilker Park on October 4, 2014 in Austin, Texas.  (Photo by Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images)
  • The Districts are an indie folk rock band from Lititz, Pennsylvania formed in 2009 by Rob Grote (vocals/guitar), Connor Jacobus (bass), Braden Lawrence (drums) and Pat Cassidy (guitar) while all the members were in high school. The band released two EPs, Kitchen Songs (2011) and While You Were in Honesdale (2012) , and a full-length album, Telephone (2012) before getting signed to Fat Possum Records. In 2014, they released an EP consisting of remastered tracks from their previous EPs, as well as some new songs. The group released their second full-length album, A Flourish and a Spoil in February of 2015 produced by John Congleton. (Photo provided by www.rollingstone.com)The Districts- Paige
  • Courtney Barnett is a singer/songwriter and guitarist from Melbourne, Australia. She has already gained nothing but positive attention from music critics and magazines after her debut EP, I’ve Got a Friend Called Emily Ferris (2011) and the release of The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas (2014). She’s been nominated for several awards in the UK, an ARIA Music Award and A Grammy Award for Best New Artist, only to lose to Meghan Trainor. However, Barnett is still considered to be one of the best breakthrough artists and is nothing short of a lyrical genius. Her latest release is a full-length album, Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit (2015). (Photo provided by www.nme.com)Courtney Barnett- Paige