Girls soccer approaches regionals

Evette+Tamayo+plays+defense+

Photo provided by Carrie Skaggs

Evette Tamayo plays defense

Lizzy Darling, Photo Editor

Girls soccer is striving for their goal as the season draws near.  They are 6-3 in conference losing to Boylan, Harlem and Freeport.

They have welcomed four freshman onto the Varsity team: Remy Bice, Brinley Hefty, Olivia Hart and Evette Tamayo.  

“I loved being on varsity this year and meeting the whole team and I know that they will always have my back,” said Bice (‘19).  

The team has one game left in the season against Belvidere on May 12 at 6:30 for Senior Night.  The three seniors leaving the Varsity team are Mara Halverson, Taylor Martocci and Mindy Lopez.  

Next week the team will go onto Regionals Tuesday May 17 and if they win then they play on May 20.  One game that has stood out for the whole team where everyone worked together to take on Hononegah.  For the first time in North’s history the girls soccer team beat the Hononegah Indians in a full 80 game plus two 20 minute halves of extra time and three rounds of penalty kicks to lead North to victory.  The team stormed the field after the last shot was missed by Hononegah.  

“This year on varsity was a great experience to meet and bond with the upperclassmen,” said Tamayo (‘19), “I learned a lot of new things from them both in school and out of school”.  

As the season comes to a close the team prepares for the Regional game Tuesday May 17.  If they win then they play again on Friday May 20.