Summer Festivities Coming Soon

Gracie Thies, reporter

Since summer is only a few days away, it’s about time to start planning all the fun and exciting things to do during the summer. Of course there’s hiking and concerts, but there is so much more to do in Illinois and the surrounding states.

This year the town of Belvidere is trying to get the local citizens more involved. On June 25, from 10-4 there will be Paint on State. You will be able to purchase a bag with paint supplies and a  4’ x 4’ square to paint on for just $5. This will be part of the many Belvidere Heritage Days weekend festivities.

There will also be a Heritage Day window painting for high school students. Any interested students in high school will join together to paint downtown business windows. The event will be guided by one of Belvidere North’s art teachers, Mr. Yunk.

Graduation parties are also scattered throughout the summer, so anytime you’re without something to do, there has to be a grad party right around the corner.

Some good places to go to concert in the summer are at county fairs, if you’re interested in country music. Reasonable priced county fairs include the Rock County 4-H, Boone County, and Ogle County fair. There is also Country Thunder from July 21 to July 24 in Twin Lakes. Old Settlers Days is from June 16 to June 19 in Rockton, Illinois.

If you’re not exactly into country music, tickets are available online for purchase throughout the whole summer. There are music festivals like Summerfest, which is June 29 to July 3 and July 5 to July 10 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

“One of my favorite things to do during the summer is attend the Warped Tour to see my favorite band, Never Shout Never,” said Christian Ortega (‘17).

There are many things available to do during the summer and it’s always fun to take some friends along for the ride to make things interesting. Keep on the look out for anymore exciting and adventurous events that appear.