The “High School Musical” Movies are our Nostalgia

Photo taken from the "High School Musical" movie.

East High, the memorable movies were filmed.

Haley McCoy, Center Focus Editor

High School Musical lied to the world.

Athletes normally don’t start a secret singing career, brainiacs normally do their best not to mix toxic chemicals together, seniors have to decide where to attend college before graduation day, and, perhaps most importantly, there aren’t massive group numbers performed sporadically throughout the day in high school. Despite all this, however, the High School Musical trilogy remains a beloved series in the minds of most current high school students, and even some graduates.

“I love High School Musical,” said McKenzie Mueller (‘17). “Those movies were my childhood.”

High School Musical is nostalgia. You’re lying if you say that you don’t sing “What Time is It?” on the last day of school. The Belvidere North girls basketball team made it a routine to sing “Now or Never” on the way to every away game. The cafeteria is the perfect set-up to reenact “Status Quo,” and everyone in the school knows it.

For whatever reason, these movies about singing and dancing your way through high school remain popular, even a decade after the fact. Troy Bolton, the singing and dancing basketball stud, was never real. Sharpay Evans, the snobby theater girl who gained humanity by the third movie, never actually graced a stage. Yet, for many a teenager and even children today, High School Musical seems to be immortal.

Maybe it was because those movies represented the best of what high school had to offer. From clubs to sports to the mixing of social groups, the High School Musical trilogy did in fact teach kids that they could be whoever they wanted to, crossing social norms if they so desired. These movies showed that a nerdy band girl could befriend the star athlete, a closeted boy could express himself on stage, a brainiac girl could expand her horizons, and no matter where you were watching from, you could do the same.

“I can still recite all of the lyrics,” said Emily Kaempfer (‘17). “Those were my favorite movies.”

High School Musical lied to the world. High school was nothing like what the movies portrayed it to be. But that’s okay. Because High School Musical, through those duplicitous musical numbers and and expansion of social order, inspired and filled the hearts of the cheerful and hopeful children around the country watching the trilogy.

And regardless of your opinion on this movie franchise, you have to admit that any time anyone asks “What time is it?” you respond “Summertime.”

Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat. Even if you attend the home of the Blue Thunder.