The Five Stages You Get From a New Hair Cut

Photo taken by Izzy Bratter

Izzy Bratter (’17) enjoys the last stage of a new hair cut: acceptance

Izzy Bratter, Reporter

If you look around the halls at North, over time you can see a ton of changes in the appearance of female students. The most common change is a sudden haircut. Once you cut your hair though, there are different stages that most people go through.

The first is the approval stage. Right after you cut your hair, whether it’s four inches off or eight, most people love it right away and think, “Why did I ever have my hair so long?” The average person then looks up cute, different ways to style your hair since styling newly cut hair is as foreign as driving a highway system in unknown territory.

Next, after you figure out how to style it, the real struggle is trying to actually do it. Everyone thinks they are ready for the task and that short hair will be easy, but soon they find out they were sadly mistaken. Thirty minutes into trying to match the cute, Pinterest hairstyle, you reach the next stage: frustration.

Everyone becomes frustrated with their hair and can’t help but think, “What am I doing and how am I going to pull this off?” Every student has days where their hair just won’t cooperate. Once you cut your hair short, if feels as if every day is like that.

Once the frustration dies down, you just start feeling straight regret. You can’t fathom why you ever thought cutting your hair was a good idea, and hate yourself for taking that risk. Some people say, “Wow, now I have no hair and it will never grow back. I can’t do this.”

The regret eventually fades and just turns into acceptance. You come to terms with your new short locks and understand that you can’t do anything about it. Hair grows back and the cycle will continue again once it’s time for the next haircut.

For the students who can cut their hair and be a hundred percent happy with it, we at the North View would just like to say props to you.