North’s athletics use scrimmages to prepare for the regular season

Photo provided by WREX

Coach Beck prepares the football team to take the field.

Matt Belinson, Reporter

Athletics at North want to prepare as much as they can before their respective seasons start and scrimmages are a perfect way to do that. With Belvidere North students returning to classes, the athletes at North start getting ready for the regular season.

The football scrimmage was last Friday, August 19 and was an opportunity to prepare for the first matchup against Jefferson. The game was a back and forth matchup. The varsity team was separated into a Navy and a White team. The white jerseys ended up winning the game.

“ I think we will have a pretty great season. We have new players who want to help us win and we have a lot of juniors who are ready to play.” Playoffs are a goal for us and we should get there, but we are focused on how we start against Jefferson on Friday,”said Jack Ahlienius (‘18).

The volleyball varsity team had a scrimmage last Friday as the team displayed its 2016 talent.

“ Both teams showed great potential that will help us be victorious this season, our team has talent,” said Danielle Leider (‘18).

The final scores were 25-17 and 25-9. North’s season doesn’t start until Aug 30 against Jefferson. North had a successful season last year with an appearance in the postseason tournament and a big upset over top seed Hononegah.

With these scrimmages out of the way, North’s athletics are starting their seasons and hope to bring success to their respective sports.