A Teacher’s Point of View

Cindy Oyervides, Reporter

Being a teacher can be demanding, exhausting, and fun. Teachers have to do a lot in a year and students tend to simply dismiss this because they either don’t like their teacher or they just don’t care. Every now and then, students should consider the struggles as well as the benefits of being a teacher.

Much like students, a lot of teachers get a bit nervous on the first day. Many of them are also excited and really looking forward to being able to teach a new group of students. One teacher students might have is Mr. Jacob O’Hara. Mr. O’Hara is teaching three classes this year as opposed to last year when he was teaching just one class. He is teaching English 10, mythology, and creative writing. This year will be more demanding for him because he will be assigning a lot more students assignments. Teachers tend to be very willing to help whenever you need it even if you take up some of their free time. So if you get Mr. O’Hara and feel overwhelmed with the workload, just ask him for help.

He will be teaching mythology for the first time this year and it will be a new experience for him. He will have to figure out what works and what doesn’t; this can be pretty exhausting. Teaching new things is one of the negatives of teaching a class for the first time. Some students can be pretty uncooperative and this makes teaching or even just accomplishing the daily goal as a teacher pretty difficult. On the contrary, teaching new things can be very fun and exciting for a teacher because they get to do something new. If you see Mr. O’Hara on your schedule in the future, be sure you’re ready for a class that is very fun and informative, in class work that’ll benefit your knowledge, and homework that will keep you up for hours.

Students always ask other students for advice about a new class they will have but going to the teacher might be a better idea. Mr. O’Hara is a teacher that will answer a question you have frankly. Teachers will tell you straight away what to expect because you were willing to ask, so don’t be afraid to try talking to them instead of asking other students. Even though talking to a teacher for the first time might seem a bit scary, don’t be afraid to go and talk to them if you are curious about anything.

Different classes at North use various grading scale styles. Some teachers are pretty lenient while others tend to be strict when it comes to their grading. As far as English 10 goes, Mr. O’Hara uses a grading scale of one to four; lots of his previous students have complained about how it’s too difficult to obtain a four. As long as you ask him for help and are willing to work hard, Mr. O’Hara will help you get the best score possible. The scales may also take some time to get used to but you’ll get the hang of it after a while.

To conclude, school is both fun and difficult in many aspects. Both you and all of your teachers will have different struggles to overcome throughout the year. Remember that teachers are there to help as well as to make learning the best it can be for you and your fellow peers.