Girls tennis wins conference opener

Photo provided by Rockford Register Star

Kayla Vittore (’16) returns a serve

Ben Clanin, Co-Sports Editor

The Belvidere North girls tennis team is building upon it’s great season last year by starting out strong this year with two consecutive wins, one at DeKalb and the other at the Freeport Quad Invite, in which they beat Freeport, Monroe, and Dixon.  Some of the new members on the 2016 squad contributed heavily to those wins, like sophomore Caroline Park (19′), who is currently undefeated this year.

“Those were both really good wins, I think that those are really going to help give us a boost going into this week,” said Leraaen Abbott (‘17).  

This week the girls were supposed to start off Monday Aug. 29 at Hampshire, but it was cancelled due to rain.  After the rain out the team traveled to Crystal Lake South, where their winning streak came to an end.

“Crystal Lake South is usually pretty good and we competed with them really well I think,” said Abbott.  

The conference season got underway on Thursday Sept 1 when they went to Jefferson to take on the J-Hawks.  The girls defeated Jefferson and started the 2016 conference season on a win.

“That was a great way to start off the conference season,” said Kayla Vittore (‘18). “I think that if we can play the way we did against Jefferson, we will have a pretty good chance at taking the conference title this year.”

Next week the girls take on their cross town rival, the Belvidere Bucs on Tuesday Sept 6, which will undoubtedly be one of the most emotional matches that they will compete in this year.

“Belvidere is always one of my favorite matches of the year, I know some of the girls that play over there and it is always really good competition,” said Vittore.  The match begins at 4:30 and is going to be played at North’s tennis courts.