Rapist released from jail, epitomizes white privilege

Brock Turner, rapist, was released from jail after serving only three months of his meager sentence.

Reilly Signor, Reporter

A lot of the headlines we’ve been seeing lately say something along the lines of ‘Stanford Swimmer, Brock Turner Released After Serving Three of His Six Month Sentence.’ What those headlines really should be saying is, ‘Rapist, Brock Turner, Gets Out of Jail After Only Serving Three Months.’

Back in Jan. 2015, 20-year-old, Brock Turner, raped and severely assaulted a vulnerable college girl who had too much to drink at a party and was on the brink of unconsciousness. After she politely declined to go home with him, he took her behind a dumpster where he then started to rape and brutally assault her and then left her there. If it weren’t for the two graduate students on their bikes that thought they saw something odd, she may not have survived the attack.

This past March, Turner was found guilty on three accounts of sexual assault. At this point, he was facing up to 14 years in a state prison, which is a whole other problem on its own. But, on June 2nd, he was sentenced to only six months in a county jail with probation. He got such a light sentence because the judge feared that spending too much time in jail would have a “severe impact” on him psychologically. That’s pretty ironic considering the psychological effects of being raped and living in constant fear, which the victim to this heinous crime has been dealing with ever since the incident. Even more so that Turner was released on Sept. 2, only serving three of his six months.

This case is a perfect example of one of the many injustices in the United States’ judicial system. There are people serving up to a life in prison for drug charges or 10+ years for minor charges. The fact that Turner was able to only serve three of his already insanely short six-month sentence primarily because he was a somewhat talented white man is unfair to the victim, other victims of rape/sexual assault, and those facing 10x the length that he did for less heinous crimes. The world is less safe with people like Brock Turner being able to walk the streets.

The first thing a lot of people, especially Americans, think when they hear of a rape or sexual assault case is, “What was she wearing?” or “Was she drunk?” because that’s relatively what American society has etched into our brains; that we should find a way to make it the victim’s fault rather than have the rapist take full responsibility for his/her actions. In court, Turner’s father referred to what his son did as simply “20 minutes of action.” In those 20 minutes an innocent girl was being brutally attacked and there was nothing she could do about it, and now she will be scarred physically and mentally for the rest of her life.

You can’t blame the attack on the amount of drinks either person had because having a little too much to drink does not justify raping another person. The intoxicated state of the victim also does not justify Turner’s actions. Since she was unable to give proper consent, even though she had already told him no, he shouldn’t have even asked her in the first place. Nothing will ever justify rape; it’s something no one deserves.

Although his sentence will never be enough for what he did, Brock Turner will not have an easy time getting his life back. He has had to register as a sex offender, which will significantly hinder his future opportunities. Also, his neighbors and people all around the country have been reminding him of his actions through protests outside his house and school. There’s no doubt that there are significant injustices in the American judicial system–such as having the power to diminish the severity of the Brock Turner case but hopefully the victim and people all across the country can take some comfort in knowing he will never truly be free again.