Comp Cheer takes conference

Bella Kehrer, Showcase Editor

Competitive Cheer has continuously exceeded the expectations of the NIC-10. The NIC-10 hasn’t seen a good cheer team ever, until now.  Taking second in state last year, winning the conference for the fifth time in a row, and winning the sectional for the third time consecutively.

This year as the team walked into conference there was talk about Harlem winning the title. North went out and had one of the best performances of the season. With having almost no deductions the team pulled out another win. The 5-peat went to a 6-peat.

“The whole crowd was screaming for us, it pumped us up and proved to us that we could go out and do good. Practice had been hard for us the week leading up to conference because we changed up our routine, but when it came down to it, we went out and did our absolute best,” said Nick Quinley (‘18).

With the team only touching down in tumbling, they pretty much did perfect. Fans from every school were screaming for the Blue Thunder.

“I think we did really good, I can’t wait for sectionals where we will go head to head with some of the toughest teams. Till sectionals we will continue to work and practice to hit 0. I’m so proud of my team,” Olivia Sawyer (‘18).

The NIC-10 and the Big 10 both competed at Guilford. For the Big 10 Rockford Lutheran took first, Stillman Valley, second, and North Boone, third.

For the NIC-10, North takes first, Harlem, second, and Belvidere, third.

North beat Harlem by a landslide. Nine points.

“I’m so happy we could pull out the win this year, especially since it’s my senior year. I knew we could do it, we just had to work hard, and that’s what we did,” said Katelyn Kehrer (‘17).

The team heads to sectionals next Saturday, 1/28. They perform at 5:50 at Belvidere High school. Come out and support the team as they compete for a spot at state.