Decisions, decisions

Getty Images/Flickr RF

Graduation is just a stepping stone for students.

Haley McCoy, Editorials Editor

Choosing a college is no small feat. There are numerous variables to consider, ranging from cost to distance from home to quality of education. And once the long process of figuring out which university to spend the next four years of your at has been completed, it doesn’t get any easier.

There were college visits, road-trips across the country to see every campus a student could possibly be interested in. There were the long calls to financial aid officers and the exhausting hunts for scholarships. There were the conversations with parents and friends. In the end, everything led down to one school. One school that was the best fit for the student, once every variable was measured against one another. The paying of the deposit to enroll was just the first step.

“I committed to a college verbally before deciding to go somewhere else,” said Natalie Perez (‘17). “It’s not an easy decision.”

Then comes housing, the search for a compatible roommate, orientation, choosing a major, and planning the move for some students who decided on out-of-state or far-away schools. Once a student has picked a college, the decisions almost get worse.

Figuring out where to live and who to live with might be the hardest part. If a student is fortunate, they get to live at home, commuting to a community college or a nearby university. Nothing changes. But for everyone else, they have to decide upon which dorm to live in at their campus, the cost of the rooms, what size room they desire, and, maybe most importantly, who they are going to share a microscopic room with for the next and most challenging year of college.

“I found my roommate in two days,” said McKenzie Mueller (‘17). “She’s awesome and I can’t wait to go to college.”

Most schools have Facebook pages that make it easier to meet potential roommates and other students committed to the school. Then the task becomes finding someone who the student can stand to be around for a an extended period of time. For the out-of-state student, that means finding maybe the only person they’ll know when moving upwards of three hours away from home. A daunting decision, to say the least.

Around this time of year, most students are in the final steps of choosing a college and just beginning to make the choices that will determine how they spend their first year away from home. It’s comforting knowing that there are many other students going through the exact same thing right now. Still, that doesn’t make any single student’s decision any easier.

College is the first step to the rest of your life. It’s only fitting that we’re faced with so many impossible decisions to start off our future.