Girls track wins first meet of season

Bundschuh leads in the 100m dash at last year’s NIC-10 Conference meet.

Sofi Zeman, Co- Features Editor

On Feb. 25, girls track started off their indoor season with a victory at the Huntley High School Invitational for the second consecutive time.

The meet began with Haley Dahl (‘19) taking first place in the 60m Hurdles. Dahl, having shattered her original 10.5 second time, set a school record in that event with a time of 9.71 seconds. Dahl also participated in the 60m Dash and anchored a 4x200m relay. Dahl took seventh overall in the dash and her relay team placed fifth. Also running the 60m Dash, Grace Bundschuh (‘18) finished in third place with a time of 7.99 seconds.

Gianna Sagona (‘20), participated in her first high school track meet on Saturday, breaking the meet record for the 3200m run. Sagona came in second, beating the original 11:31 minute record by one second at 11:32 minutes.

“ I was nervous and didn’t know what to expect at first. But after the race, I was proud and excited about the way things went,” said Sagona.

Jenna Lutzow (‘17), coming back to the track for her last high school season, participated in the 4x400m relay, the 4x800m relay and 800m run on Saturday. Lutzow, along with Sabrina Elder (‘18) , Olivia Zaluckyj (‘20) and Alexandria Reza (‘20) came in first place for their first event of the day with a 10:22 minute 4×8.  Lutzow also won the 800m run with a time of 2:23 minutes. Lutzow and Elder, along with Caitlin Corso (‘20) and Vanessa Sida (‘18) ran the final heat of the day for the 4x400m relay. Elder anchored the relay, helping to lead the team to first place in 4:16 minutes.

Field events contributed to the victory of the entire team as well. Danae Steele (‘18) had the best throw of the day in shot put, landing at 28 feet.

“ It was our first meet which really brought out nerves but we’ve been practicing and working hard at practice, we’re ready for Auburn,” said Steele.

Madison Dierks (‘20) participated in high jump, clearing five feet and placing second. Dierks also jumped 32.11 feet in triple jump. Taylor Ferguson (‘18) and Mia Rodriguez (‘18) vaulted at Huntley. Ferguson cleared ten feet and Rodriguez cleared 7’6.

The next invitational will be at Auburn High School on March 4 and Belvidere North is planning on having a second consecutive victory.