Girls Track Wins Auburn Invite

Last Saturday’s winning 4x200m relay team.

Sofi Zeman, Co- Features Editor

With Spring sports in full swing, the Belvidere North Track and Field team is in the process of having yet another record-shattering season.

The girls continue to hold their victory streak of two after winning the Auburn Invitational on March 4. At the meet, Kate Oteng-Bediako (‘18) broke Haley Dahl’s (‘19) 15.1 foot record in long jump after jumping 17.2 feet. Oteng-Bediako and Dahl , along with Sabrina Elder (‘18) and Grace Bundschuh (‘18) broke the indoor school record for the 4x200m relay, originally set in 2009, with a time of 1:50.82.

“I’m so proud of the work the team has accomplished. Records are made to be broken,” said Dahl.

At Auburn, the girls took a series of first place finishes in their events. Madison Dierks (‘20) won high jump and Taylor Ferguson (‘18) took first in pole vault. On the distance side, Jenna Lutzow (‘17) won the 800m run. A 4x800m relay team consisting of Elder, Lutzow, Olivia Zaluckyj (‘20) and Alex Reza (‘20) worked to take first with a time of 10:09 minutes. In the 4x400m relay, Lutzow, Elder, Vanessa Sida (‘18) and Natalia Rudawski (‘19) came in first, winning the last event of the day for Belvidere North.

“It was great to get the opportunity the run with the 4×4 team. I was so nervous before I ran but the girls cheered me on and made me laugh. I’m beyond proud of them and myself for getting first in that event,” said Rudawski.

The team will return to Auburn High School on March 16 for the NIC-10 Indoor Conference meet. Belvidere North is competing next this Friday at the Batavia Distance Classic, an invitational focusing on all events 800m and up.