Pacer test banned

Bonnie Konopka, Reporter

On March 12, a Twitter account posted a rumor that the pacer test had been banned from schools in Neomongolia because of child cruelty. The tweet was taken from an article published by the website Neomongolia News Network, and was accompanied by a caption that read “I want compensation for my suffering.” But, there was no truth to the tweet or the article the picture was posted from.
“A controversial fitness test has been banned from all schools in Neomongolia today after an executive order by President Chinkus. The test has been subject to a ton of blast after becoming a viral sensation online. Many coming forth saying that the test has damaged their psyche, giving them PTSD,” the article said.
Although the Neomongolia News Network web site does not have a disclaimer labeling its content as fiction, the article was clearly written as a joke. Neomongolia is a fictional place, and the article references a fictional president, President Chinkus. It also references a made up currency, 250,000 Neomongolian dollars.
“Teachers have said the test is a burden to the school curriculum and many have dropped the test altogether from their PE classes before the ban. Citing student health as being the main concern of the test. As many as six hospitalizations were linked to the application of the test in schools. Schools will be forced to remove the test from their curriculum by March 5th, or they will be fined 250,000 Neomongolian dollars,” the article said.
Some of the websites other articles reveal that the website’s purpose is for entertainment, and is not a real news source. The headlines include “Bernie Sanders Returns to Assisted Living Facility”, “Cruz, Bush Share Room in Psychiatric Hospital”, “Chinese Smog Crisis Solved After Vape Shop Raids” and “Local teenager believes Brexit is bad because of Twitter”.
The FitnessGram Pacer (Progressive Aerobic Cardiovascular Endurance Run) Test is a cardiovascular fitness testing activity developed in 1982. Although it has not actually been banned in Neomongolia, many students are petitioning it. There is a petition against the “beep test”, which is a fitness test similar to the Pacer, on ipetitions.com, which has 690 signatures.
“The Pacer test is not a good way to accurately represent a student’s cardiovascular endurance. I think our school should get rid of it and come up with something more effective to use to test our fitness,” said Olivia Kersten (‘19).