Science Olympiad gets 3rd at regionals

Bonnie Konopka , Reporter

Belvidere North’s Science Olympiad team competed in the regional competition this Saturday at Rock Valley College. The team took third place, which qualified them to compete at state next month.
“I’m so happy and proud of the team as a whole. We worked so hard and it all payed off. Going into awards, I didn’t think my partner and I were going to medal in our hardest event. I was so happy and excited when we ended up getting 2nd place. I am very pumped to go to state and see how we do,” said Olivia Kersten (‘19).
Out of the 23 events at the competition, the varsity team won a total of 17 medals, and the JV team won 16 medals, which breaks the previous record of 16 medals in total.
“Overall everybody did just as good as we expected, if not better. Winning 33 total medals between JV and Varsity is a huge accomplishment for us and hopefully we will do just as good at state,” said Andre Miranda (‘17).
The top five teams at regionals qualify to go to state, and the sixth place team is the alternate team. Last year, the Science Olympiad team placed in sixth by only one point. This year, they placed in third, despite a few unexpected setbacks the day of the competition.
“Taking third at regionals is a huge accomplishment despite a few setbacks. Everyone that attended regionals gave it their all and we reached our goal,” said Jenn Walbaum (‘18).
The team placed in third at the competition with a total of 105 points. Teams that score a lower number of points place higher than teams with a greater number of points. Harlem High School placed in first with 69 points, and Auburn High School was the second place team with a total of 99 points.
“It was very exciting to win third at regionals. The awards ceremony was very intense, but when we found out how well we had done, it was very fun” said Madi Ursenbach (‘19).
The state competition will take place next month on April 29 at the University of Illinois. The varsity team will continue to compete in their events, and the JV alternates will accompany them and compete in trial events, which will be introduced to Science Olympiad next season.
“We all worked so hard these last few months to prepare for regionals and it was so rewarding to see it all pay off. This next month we are going to be preparing for state and I hope we will continue to do as well as we have been doing all season,” said Molly Carrick (‘19).