Boys volleyball

Boys volleyball

Lauren Shelton, Reporter

Over the last few years, Belvidere North has developed a new volleyball team just for the boys to play on. The team is currently co-op with Belvidere High School. When the freshman, JV, and varsity teams were finally recognized by IHSA and the NIC-10, boys volleyball became the 24th sport to be recognized. Students and faculty from around the area were all very excited that the teams were finally becoming a reality.

“This is an opportunity for our student-athletes to participate in a sport that we haven’t offered before. It’s exciting to bring another sport to our schools,” said Belvidere North athletic director Jody Flynn.

The beginning of the season has started off a bit rocky start, but the team has been practicing every week and working on trying new gameplans. All members of the team are hoping they will be able to turn their season around.

“Varsity and JV both lost the first two games, but the scores were all really close. I think we should be able to improve the record from last year and hopefully continue to get better as a team,” said a player on the JV team, Tanner Mateus (‘19).

Most of the schools in the NIC-10 now have enough players to make up varsity and JV, but North has a freshman team as well for the first time. Conference this year should consist of several very exciting games since all the schools have more players, as it is becoming more popular.

“We have a lot more people this year since we have a freshman team, and the more people, the better. A lot of our players are stronger this year and we should have a lot of upcoming players in the next couple years. I have no clue how our next few games will go, but I hopefully we can win and our main goal is just to continue improving,” said Arthur Young (‘19), a member of the Varsity team.

In the next upcoming week, Belvidere North is scheduled to go up against Auburn and Hononegah at home, and away at Guilford. The location of home games vary between Belvidere and Belvidere North, but the location can be found on the online schedule. Several members of the team have expressed that it would be great to see more of a student turnout at the games, so make sure to go out and support the team.