Girls Soccer makes history

Bonnie Konopka, Reporter

Over spring break, the Belvidere North girls varsity soccer team had a game against Boylan Catholic High School. The team beat Boylan for the first time in both girls and boys school history with an ending score of 3-2.
“Boylan has been undefeated in the conference for two years but this year our team came out strong and Boylan took the loss. It was a 100 minute game and it was crazy. I didn’t know what was going on half the time. It was our first conference game and we came out strong,” said Evette Tamayo (‘19).
The team was tied 1-1 with Boylan after a goal by Remy Bice and solid effort by the defense. Later in the game, North defeated Boylan in the penalty kick shootout with a score of 3-2 thanks to saves by Erin McKinney and penalty kicks by Laurel Burke, Peyton Flynn, and Olivia Hart.
“I honestly wasn’t that scared during penalty kicks. It was a great game for our team and I’m glad we were finally able to take down Boylan,” said Erin McKinney (‘18).
Peyton Flynn and Erin McKinney were named Athletes of the Week for their great performances in girl’s soccer. Peyton made a strong defensive effort in the game against Boylan. She also scored one of North’s three penalty kicks in overtime. At goal, Erin had 8 saves and stopped 4 penalty kicks in overtime. Both athletes helped lead the team to their historic win over Boylan.
“Basically we made school history for both boys and girls soccer here, so I felt like that was a really good way to open our season. I feel like it’s cool that Erin and I were awarded Athlete’s of the Week together because our win against Boylan was such a good game for our team,” said Peyton Flynn (‘18).
After the game ended, the girls rang the school bell to celebrate the team’s win.
“We rang the school bell and that was really fun. A few of the girls on the team were crying because we were so excited that Boylan had finally been defeated,” said Erin McKinney.
The soccer team is looking forward to the rest of their season and are hoping to keep a good record and play well against opposing teams in their upcoming games.
“I think the rest of our season is going to go well after this win, and the rest of the teams in the conference are looking out for our team now,” said Anna Westerberg (‘18).
The team’s next games are this Friday, April 7 against Richmond Burton at Richmond Burton High School, and Tuesday, April 11 against Hononegah at Milt Brown Stadium.