Girls Track takes first

Girls Track takes first

Lauren Shelton, Reporter

The girls track team at Belvidere North has had an incredible beginning to their season and the outlook for the rest of the season is great. The varsity team has gone undefeated so far this year. This past weekend, on Saturday, the team competed at Oregon High School for the Gebhardt-Worley Invite.

As a team, North’s varsity runners took first place overall. Many members of the team either won or placed in the top few spots in their event.

“Most of the time I am in a few distance events, usually the 400 meter, 4×4 relay, and 4×8 relay. I did really well in my events even though I had to leave early from prom. I have already hit some new personal records. Hopefully the rest of the season will go well, as we have a lot of talent and have been working hard. We already won the indoor conference, so I think we should be able to win the outdoor conference and send a couple girls to state,” said Sabrina Elder (‘18).

The team has proven to be extremely strong and successful this year. A large portion of the runners are freshman. Even though they may be young, they have held their own with the older runners and have repeatedly taken first in different events.

“On Saturday I won both of distance events. I ran in the 400 meter and the 4×4 relay. The meet was actually really interesting. We did very well considering it was mostly freshman and sophomores competing due to prom being the same day. I hope we continue to progress and do well for the rest of the season,” said Kayla Mcguire (‘20).

A few other freshman had the chance to compete as well, including the 4×8 relay and the mile.

“Our relay teams are really strong this season and I think we are going to continue to do well at the rest of our meets. For myself, I have set some new goals and am working hard to hit new personal records,” Alexandria Reza (‘20).

The rest of the season is expected to be full of great performances as well. The team continues to practice hard and is preparing for their next meet. All of these invites are preparing them for the real competition, outdoor conference, and then the possibility of sending runners to state.

The team takes on Belvidere at their invite this week and then heads to the Antioch meet over the weekend.