The Eclipse of the Century

Camille Spencer, Reporter

On Monday, August, 21 there was a total solar eclipse. It was the first total solar eclipse the United States has seen since February 26, 1979. The solar eclipse started on the West Coast at 10:00 A.M., and finished on the East Coast at 3:00 P.M. Most people have said that it was the “Eclipse of the century,” mostly because of how long the event lasted. The eclipse ,  over 70 miles of land. Though the solar eclipse lasted a while, when it came to the area, it was only  visible for about two minutes. Belvidere North was on a shortened schedule which allowed students to go outside and view the eclipse. Looking at an eclipse in its totality will severely damage your eyes without the right protection. Because of that reason, students were given  special glasses that will let them see the eclipse without hurting their eyes. Makenzie Andrews (18’) said,

“I thought the eclipse was interesting to see because I have never seen one before.” Because of the weather and the clouds in Belvidere, there was only a partial solar eclipse, so students were still able to see a few of the sun rays during the eclipse.

Total solar eclipses occur every 18 months or so. Usually, the path of totality crosses over the ocean or Antarctica so that is why it is extremely rare to have a solar eclipse in places that are so easy to reach. The next total eclipse that will cross the United States will happen on April 8, 2024. It will be working its way through Mexico, and end in a little part of Canada. If someone wasn’t lucky enough to see the eclipse of 2017, make sure to catch the one in about seven years.