What The Dress Code Does For Us

Priscila Chavez, Reporter

Has the dress code gone too far? The word dress code actually means a set of rules usually written and posted, specifying the required manner of a dress at a school, office, club, restaurant, etc. These rules ”help students and their district promote a secure and obedience environment to learn.” Even though most students don’t really pay attention to it or care about it unless they actually get dress coded by a faculty member.

Most of the students who really get dress coded are girls. Your shoulders are showing? Dress Coded. You have spaghetti straps that aren’t precisely three inches wide? Dress Coded. Your neckline is now exposed and you are forced to change into a sweaty old gym shirt or put on a sweatshirt. The only method to actually get away with dress codes are by either hiding from the hall monitors, Barbara and Sylvia. Or during Homecoming and Spirit Week when the rules are enforced to show enthusiasm for the school.

The dress code is a little absurd to have all these rules just to make it a “safe place” like shoulders not being allowed to be seen because “they’re distracting” I myself and others probably don’t even care that a shoulder is visible or that there are holes above the knee. The only people who really care are the faculty like an assistant principal for example and sometimes teachers don’t even care. But when a guy is wearing a tank top or a muscle tee they don’t even get anything like a warning or are forced to change into something else.

“I think the dress code shouldn’t be enforced so harshly. It mostly targets girls and when they are taken out of class for what they wear, it gives the message that a boys education is more important than a girl’s education,” said Mariana Cardoso (‘19).

Throughout the day you may or may have not seen someone dressed oddly like in the hallway once or twice that is distracting but you probably won’t ever see that person during the rest of the day and will probably forget just enough for it to be a “safe environment.”