North’s blood drive

Yesenia Vizguerra, Reporter

On September 16, Belvidere North will be hosting a blood drive for those who wish to save a life by donating blood. Students who participate must be 16 years of age or older. To sign up, a table located in the cafeteria will have sign-up sheets as well as more information regarding the blood drive.

North has hosted these blood drives in the past, which all have been very successful.

During these blood drives, students will be receiving information on their hemoglobin levels, as well as, blood pressure and blood type. Before donating, however, tests are given to ensure that the donor’s’ blood is healthy and good to use. The blood drive can give an insight to the students’ blood type.

Students must have a light meal in their system before donating and must have plenty to drink. To donate blood, donors must eat certain types of food. Donors also can’t chew gum, mints or candy during the process. Smokers can’t smoke two hours prior to donating blood. Many students in the past have experienced dizziness from the loss of blood and are given food to rid of the feeling.

“I couldn’t get my blood drawn because I didn’t have enough iron in my blood,” said Emily Munoz (‘19).

To donate certain elements in your blood, there are different requirements. Donors would have to be of good health and must be feeling well that day. Certain requirements, make them be of a certain height or weight.

For students who are ineligible to donate, students can do other things to help with the blood drive. Many could make a financial donation or help with volunteering.

If students are taking a certain medication or medications, they should list that on the sign-up sheet or tell a personnel.

Donating blood can be used during surgery or blood transfusions. However, most flyers and posters say “Save a life”, which could be referring to saving the life of leukemia patients.

“The experience was a little longer than I expected it to be but it was definitely worth it because just by donating once, you are able to save three lives. Overall everyone was really nice and gentle in my opinion, but definitely worth the little pinch,” said Jenny Martinez (‘19).