PSAT/NMSQT Test

PSAT/NMSQT Test

Hannah Konkler, Reporter

For juniors and some sophomores the beginning of the school year is full of testing. All junior students, and some sophomore students (those who chose to take it) take the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test and National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT).

The PSAT is a pre-test to the SAT that juniors will take later in the year and send to colleges. The pre-test helps students to get used to question types, format, time limits, etc. The test is also a qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship Program. Through that program students can be academically honored in the United States. They can receive scholarships from the program as well.

This test was offered to students at Belvidere North on October 11. Students will go to school and take the test. They have to bring all the normal testing supplies like number two pencils and a calculator.

There are three subjects that students taking the test are tested on: reading, writing, and math. These three test sections take two hours and forty-five minutes to complete. The scores range from 400 to 1600. The two 800 point sections are combined to make the final score.

Even though the PSAT is not retakable, it is not a real test that colleges would get the score from. The students take the real SAT in the spring, and that is the score that sticks with them, unless they chose to retake it.