Bennett Baker goes to state

Bennett Baker goes to state

Rachel Nelson, Reporter

On Friday, October 13 and Saturday October 14, Bennett Baker(‘20) participated in the Illinois High School Association State Championship for boy’s golf. This year’s State was held in Bloomington, Illinois.

Baker tied for ninth place at Regionals in DeKalb. He shot 45 on the front nine and a 37 on the back nine for an 82 for the whole round.

“I feel that I didn’t really have my short game in sync the whole day, but off the tee I was really accurate and that’s what you need at Kishwaukee Country Club,” said Baker.

Sectionals took place at Bittersweet Golf Course in Gurnee, IL. There, Baker shot a 78, 41 on the front nine and a 37 on the back nine. His score was just enough to advance him and got him a placement anywhere from seventh to tenth place, just enough to qualify for State.

“Off the tee I was on and off all day, but my putting was great all day. I think I had 26 putts, which is very good for me and I was happy with my performance. I felt really good going into state because I think my game is where I need it to be, and I thought I had a good chance to get top 20,” said Baker.

After the Walk of Champions on Thursday, October 12, Baker left for Bloomington, Illinois to play at The Den at Fox Creek Golf Course. After day two, Baker was 18 over par and he had placed 75th in the championship. The number one golfer in Illinois was three under par at the end of the two day.

On the first day of state, Baker shot 39 on the front and 43 on the back, totalling an 82 for the round. On the second day, he shot a 42 on the front and a 38 on the back, which got him an 80 for the day.

“After state, I felt disappointed because I didn’t put up 75 75, which is a 150 2 day total, and would have gotten me top 20. So I just didn’t play good once I was there, but all-in-all it was a good season,” said Baker.