Horror movies to watch on Halloween

Cassiana Pozzi, Editor-in-Chief

Halloween is just around the corner, and some people don’t know exactly how to spend the scary holiday. Trick-or-treating is always an option, going to haunted houses can be really fun too, but what about just staying inside watching the best of the best horror movies? So there’s new horror movies and old ones, but which ones are better? Some are just classics that can never be topped, but a few of the more recent ones still have the same effects on watchers, which would be perfect for a night in.

Most of us have heard of and seen The Conjuring, Insidious, Sinister, and Paranormal Activity, so why not list off some more unmentioned, but still stellar, films. As Above So Below, a horror film from 2014, takes place in the catacombs underneath the city of Paris where archaeologist Scarlett Marlowe (Perdita Weeks) searches with a team for Flamel’s Philosopher’s Stone. Upon the group’s mission, a conflict arises where they realize the only way out is down and the catacombs become each of the members’ personal hell. Get Out has gotten quite a bit of attention recently and is known for its complex storyline and eerie characters. Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) and his girlfriend, Rose (Allison Williams) visit her family’s home which turns into a series of strange events for Chris when he uncovers a dark secret. Another one to mention is The Witch, based in the New England time period, and stars Anya Taylor-Joy and Kate Dickie. The film follows a family in the 1630s that slowly gets torn apart after the disappearance of the youngest brother, Samuel, causes paranoia of witchcraft and black magic to set in. And lastly there’s the 2012 thriller, Cabin in the Woods. If you thought Get Out was slightly confusing, Cabin in the Woods is on the same caliber. The storyline follows a group of college students who find themselves fighting to survive a sacrificial group’s monstrous experiments in a secluded cabin…in the woods.

Diving more into the past, so many horror movies were somehow able to leave a great impression. There’s Halloween, Amityville Horror, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th, and they didn’t have the most intricate plots nor the highest of quality effects, but I’m sure you are all familiar with most of these. The Shining, based off of a Stephen King novel, is focused on a family of three who travel and lodge themselves in a resort that has been closed off for the winter. During these months, husband Jack Torrence (Jack Nicholson) develops a dangerous case of cabin fever which puts his wife (Shelley Duvall) and his son (Danny Lloyd) at risk of being murder victims. The next film is The Blair Witch Project, is actually categorized as a psychological horror film based around three student filmmakers who seek to document the legend of The Blair Witch in Black Hills forest. All three students go missing and the movie is mainly focused on the fact that the viewers are watching their found footage. And lastly, Poltergeist, of course the 1982 adaptation, set in suburban California, follows a small family whose home is suddenly invaded by malicious evil spirits. And to make matter worse, the youngest daughter Carol Anne who has been communicating with these spirits, gets abducted and causes a great panic with the household.

So whether you are getting together with friends for a movie night, wanting to familiarize yourself with the world of horror films, or you are deciding between something classic or something more up to date, any of these would be perfect to get you into the Halloween season.