Macklemore Is Woke

Priscila Chavez, Reporter

On Saturday night the American rapper, Benjamin Haggerty or as most people know him by the name of Macklemore hosted his sold out concert of 2500 people including a bunch of college students, and let everyone know how he felt about Trump by leading the crowd to start chanting and singing “F–k Donald Trump!” at the Marquee Theater in Phoenix.

The 34 year old who is not a fan of the current president has been very open about Trump since day one. Back in November the rapper took to Instagram to write that he was “disappointed, shocked, and shaken at my core by what has transpired tonight.”

Macklemore isn’t the only one who seems to dislike Mr. Trump and his policies. Other stars like Miley Cyrus, Shakira, and Stephen King aren’t a fan of him either. Cyrus called him a “nightmare” on  Instagram and other celebs have used Twitter to tweet their opinions.

During the concert Macklemore gave a speech on about inclusiveness, acceptance and kindness which led him to sing one of his many songs, “Same Love”. He then gave another speech about immigration and acceptance and told the crowd “that everyone should be welcome here no matter which side of the line you stood on.” He also mentions how we should be welcoming and encouraging everyone to live the American dream.

When it came to the part of chant during the concert it was said be one of the loudest parts of the concert and apparently there weren’t any boo’s being heard meaning perhaps everyone at the concert agreed with Macklemore. During the song everyone was holding their middle fingers up cooperatively including Macklemore.

The explicit song that was being performed was “FDT” ( F–ck Donald Trump part two) was released back in the Summer of 2016 by YG and features G-Eazy and Macklemore. Part 1 was originally a single by YG featuring Nipsey Hussle, another rapper. The song was inspired by Hussle’s positive experience of working with Mexican immigrants to the US. The song’s music video includes footage of anti-Trump rallies and people dancing with their middle fingers up and spray painting along with wearing shirts that read “f–k Trump.” Before the music video started it had a couple of words from the singers that said “As young people with an interest in the future of america…we have to exercise our intelligence and choose who leads us wisley, 2016 will be a turning point in this country’s history…the question is in which direction will we go?” Along with other words the rappers had to say before presenting their music video.

In the end, Macklemore’s concert was without a doubt probably the best place to let his voice be heard by thousands of people and let everyone know how he feels while giving a voice to other people who don’t have one or can’t get it out there enough so others can understand.