Les Misérables

Processed with VSCO with hb2 preset

Mariana Cardoso, Reporter

On Thursday, October 12, some of the students from band, choir and theater got the chance to take a field trip out to Chicago to watch Broadway show, Les Miserable. Two years ago the student went to watch Lion King and just last year they went to watch Hamilton.

This year so many students signed up to go on the trip that they had to take a coach bus and a mini bus provided by the school. More than 50 students rode on the coach bus to Chicago. On their way to the city they watched a movie, while others took naps. Once they arrived they had spare time so students were allowed to walk around Navy Pier, where students bought souvenirs and rode on rides. Their lunch was provided by Bubba Gump Shrimp, a Forest Gump inspired restaurant, where some students won prizes answering Forest Gump trivia questions. Meanwhile, those who volunteered to ride the mini bus hopped on a train to make it to the city for the show. After arriving at Ogilvie Transportation Center they ate lunch at the food court, later to meet up with the rest of their classmates at the Cadillac Palace for the show. “I volunteered to go on the train because it was mention that those riding on the train would get better seats, but I’ve also never gone on a train before,” said Yesenia Vizguerra (‘20).

The story of Les Miserable follows Jean Valjean after serving 19 years in prison for stealing a piece of bread for his dying nephew. He’s freed by Javert, the officer in charge of the prisoner workforce. However, jobs don’t come easy for those convicted of a crime, driving Valjean to break parole using money from stolen silver to reinvent himself as mayor and factory owner. Javert promises to bring Valjean back to justice and in-prison him once more. Eight year go by, Valjean now guardian to Cosette after her mother’s death when she was unfairly fired from his factory. Javert’s constant pursuit however means peace will be a long time coming for Valjean and Cosette.

Not only do field trips like this sound fun but they also prove that students are more prone to learn and take some of that and apply it somewhere else like in theater, band or in choir. “Being in chorus exposes us to hands on learning experiences, like when we went to Disneyland and got to perform there. I love going on field trips like this because we’re having fun but we’re also learning,” said Noemi Ruiz (19).