Belvidere North recognized as Democracy School

As of 2017, Belvidere North High School was named as one of  Illinois Democracy Schools by The Illinois Civic Mission Coalition . Belvidere North is one out of 67 other high schools to be declared as a democracy school. Many schools in Illinois were given a “civic wide assessment” and Belvidere North was again, one of the schools that was actually be able to complete the test. Because of this, our school will be given a stipend, or a sum of money that is given at different times for services or to cover expenses. The Robert R. McCormick Foundation will be providing this money to invest in better learning activities, and will also be equipping a banner for the public. According to the McCormick Foundation website, “The Illinois Democracy Schools initiative supports a growing network of high schools that are empowering students to nurture and sustain our democracy.”As of 2017, Belvidere North High School was named as one of  Illinois Democracy Schools by The Illinois Civic Mission Coalition . Belvidere North is one out of 67 other high schools to be declared as a democracy school. Many schools in Illinois were given a “civic wide assessment” and Belvidere North was again, one of the schools that was actually be able to complete the test. Because of this, our school will be given a stipend, or a sum of money that is given at different times for services or to cover expenses. The Robert R. McCormick Foundation will be providing this money to invest in better learning activities, and will also be equipping a banner for the public. According to the McCormick Foundation website, “The Illinois Democracy Schools initiative supports a growing network of high schools that are empowering students to nurture and sustain our democracy.”There were two rules that schools had to meet to be considered as a Democracy School. Number one, schools had to apply to be recognized on August 21, 2017.  Number two, the school must have a diversity demographic of at least 50 percent. The McCormick Foundation says “We believe that by expanding civic learning opportunities and experiences to schools made up primarily with students of color will help to close the civic empowerment gap and improve overall democratic outcomes in our state.”With Belvidere North as a Democracy School, students will receive multiple opportunities to be apart of the democratic process. For example, students will be able to participate in relevant and present issue discussions, they will have the chance to engage in democratic simulations, and will be provided with service learning opportunities.