Belvidere North Football Season Recap

Belvidere North Football Season Recap

Matt Belinson, Sports Editor

All good things must come to an end. The players, coaches, parents and fans felt that the hard way on Nov. 11. Belvidere North football came back home to Milt Brown Stadium to host Hoffman Estates in the quarterfinals round of the IHSA playoffs. North’s seniors wanted to leave everything on the field.

“I wanted to leave my all on the field, for my school and teammates,” said Chance Cregeen (‘18).

Belvidere North doesn’t have a history of long football runs deep into November, but did have a quarterfinals appearance back in 2009. North had a completely different coaching staff, players and way of running the offense. The 2017 Blue Thunder wanted to write their names alongside the 2009 squad.

“We are a part of school history and I am proud of that,” said Cregeen (‘18).

North started off on offense and was stopped quickly by Hoffman on their first drive. North gave the Eagles great field position after a 15 yard punt. North couldn’t generate any real movement on offense and repeated multiple “3 and out” drives in the first half. North was not ready for a fast and powerful team on Hoffman Estates level, with three big plays burning the defensive side of the ball for the Thunder in just the first half. North fell into a deficit 25-3 at halftime.

“All of us felt upset, but we wanted to respond and at least try to give some excitement for our fans,” said Kenny Epperson (‘18).        

North did score two touchdowns in the second half, but couldn’t prevent two more Hoffman Estates scores. North fought hard every play, but fell 37-17. Belvidere North gave the fans and coaching staff something to remember for years to come.

“We got Coach Beck his first and second playoff win, and I know we accomplished a lot in his eyes this season,” said Cregeen (‘18).

Most seniors on this team will probably never play football again and that alone is cause for tears.

“You probably saw me crying like a girl on the Rockford Register Star website, but I don’t care, this might be the last time I ever put on pads again,” said a somber Cregeen (‘18).

The season may have ended with a loss, but North sure climbed back from a hole early in the season. North was 2-6 with four games left. North won out and grabbed a playoff spot in the IHSA playoffs. The team made it exciting for the city and school, especially for the seniors who will never see their high school team play again.

“If it is the last time, I am happy that I got to see three playoff games my final year,” said Tyler Wrobel (‘18).

Belvidere North football fought to get in and fought to stay in every week, but the season had to end eventually. North will always have the support of the surrounding community and student body. Ring the Bell!