The Army visits to inform students at Belvidere North

Kaylee, Bowman

During class, last Thursday, North was greeted by two military officers, Sergeant First Class Darek Melendez and Staff Sergeant Brandon Crishbaum. They spoke to multiple classes throughout the day about recruiting and what military, specifically the army, entails.

To begin with some information on the army, they are the oldest branch of the military. They were established officially in 1775. The U.S. Army is made up of the most devoted, most honorable soldiers in the world. They defend the nation in times of need by serving abroad and at home. If someone decides to serve in the army, they will need to be ready constantly no matter where they are to serve their duties as a soldier.

The speakers continued on these points explaining the dress code the army lives by. The army has three different dress wears formal, combat, and workout. The formal dress consists of a blue dress suit and is worn in public and during events of importance. Soldiers take extreme pride in wearing this uniform. They always make sure the gigline, the place where the belt lines up with the trousers, is straight. It is seen as a type of self-discipline. The second uniform is used in combat zones. The last of the uniforms is the physical training outfit, more commonly known as a “PT”. It is seen as disrespectful and quite funny if a soldier wears this casually. Alongside the uniforms, they spoke about the use of slang words.

The most religiously used words are “blue falcon” and “sick call ranger.” They are both aimed towards disrespectful people within the military. No soldier wants to be called a blue falcon. It is a highly disrespected person because of their actions. A “sick call ranger” is someone that abuses medical facility to get out of responsibilities. There are other commonly used words, but those two are the ones the speakers focused on the most.

The facility and students at North are very grateful to have had these soldiers come and speak. It has given many students a newfound interest in the military. Thank you to Sergeant Melendez and Sergeant Crishbaum for coming and giving students a new perspective on the Army.