NIC-10 pre-season bowling tournament

Rachel Nelson, Reporter

Every Friday after Thanksgiving, the NIC-10 has their bowling pre-season tournament. At this tournament, every conference team along with some additional teams, compete and get the chance to see who they will be facing during the upcoming season.

North’s girls bowling team took 4th place overall at their tournament, which took place at Cherry Bowl Lanes in CherryVale. Top finishers were Kylie Johnson (‘18), who took first place, with a six game score of 1428 and Brynn Lambrecht (‘18), who took second place, had a six game score of 1419.

Lambrecht bowled her third 300 game on Friday. This was following a 213 and was followed by: 247, 225, 212 and 222. Johnson’s scores were: 233, 187, 255, 269, 239 and 245. They both carried the rest of their team, together scoring almost half of the team’s overall score.

“Getting another 300 was a great feeling. No matter how many I’ve had, it still gives me the same pleasure and feeling of achievement that I got from bowling my first 300,” said Lambrecht.

North has two JV bowling teams, four bowlers on each team, so that the girls can get more bowling experience in. The teams are Blue, which placed in 7th, and Red, which placed in 8th.

For the girls teams, the top competitor is the Harlem Huskies. Last season, the Huskies took the Regional and Sectional Championship titles, and they placed first at state. They went on the compete in nationals, and they took first there as well.

The boys have a lot of good competition as well. The Harlem boys team has a very solid bowling program and the Hononegah Indians also have a very good program. The Indians shot a 6913, which takes second place in the nation for the highest high school boys bowling 6-game score.

North’s Varsity boys bowling team took 9th place at their tournament at Don Carter Lanes in Rockford. The top two finishers were Justin Bragg (‘19), who took 12th, and Nole Hefty (‘21), who took 21st place. North’s boys JV team took 13th overall.

“I think we definitely could have done better than we did, but we all tried our hardest and we did pretty good in the end,” said Cal Taylor (‘20).

The girls and the boys teams both have more tournaments coming up this season. There is the Harlem Invite and the Belvidere Invite that both teams go to. Some of the boys other tournaments are the Guilford Invite and the East HS Invite.

The girls have a few of their own tournaments including: the Jefferson Invite, the Rockford East Invite and the Viking Holiday Tournament. For the first time, the girls team will be hosting a tournament of their own. The Blue Thunder Girl Invitational will take place on January 13, 2018.