Acapella and “The Nutcracker” in Dekalb

Acapella and

Camille Spencer, Reporter

The Belvidere North Acapella choir students recently visited and performed in the famous ballet, “The Nutcracker in Dekalb on Friday, December 1. Dr. Vermillion brought twelve students to this performance.
“The Nutcracker” is a Christmas story and a ballet that is separated into two acts. It originated in the year 1892 and is a story about a family’s Christmas Eve celebration. Young Marie Stahlbaum’s favorite toy was a nutcracker. One night the nutcracker comes to life, when this happens, the nutcracker defeats the evil “mouse king” in a battle. This battle is acted through ballet and is called the “Mouse and Battle.” Once the battle is over, the nutcracker takes young Marie and brings her to a magical kingdom that is populated with all different kinds of dolls. Some of the other dances within the show are called “The Russian Dance, The Waltz of the Snowflakes, and the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.”
Tami Weiland (‘18) said, “Everything went even better than expected. We had a group of 12 students, and we sounded really good together. We performed before the show and during intermission. The crowd absolutely loved it. It was really cool to see a ballet with so much talent. The set was amazing and the costumes were so intricate and beautiful. The Dekalb community did a really nice job with putting on this show.”
The choir students performed different pieces from their Christmas music. They sang songs such as “Angels We Have Heard on high, Joy to the World, Jingle Bells, Deck the Hall, Bring a torch, Jeannette Isabella Noel,” and much more.
For those choir students that missed out on the show this year, they will have another chance next year to perform by asking Dr. Vermillion to be put on the list and making sure you get the permission slip when the time comes around again.