First Cheer Competition

Hannah Konkler, Reporter

The Belvidere North Cheerleading team had an excellent start to their season for all three levels on Sunday Dec. 3. The competition was held at Crystal Lake Central and the medium JV, large JV, and Coed Varsity teams were all there.

The medium JV had an excellent first start, and so did the large JV as they finished first in their division. The returning state champions had a good first performance as well. They were the champions in their division by 14 points. The varsity team had the highest score out of the entire competition, and the large JV team had the second best score out of all divisions. All levels still have things to work on though, as this was only the first competition. This year the teams have advanced stunts and excellent tumbling, which will hopefully help them to out score other teams.  The varsity team is now preparing for one of their biggest competitions of the year, the Co-ed Challenge, which is held here at North. The Co-ed Challenge has most of the best co-ed teams in Illinois attending. It is on Dec. 15 in the gym. The JV teams are also getting ready for their next competition on Dec. 16, at Rolling Meadows High School.

“After my injuries last season that prevented me from cheering, my first varsity competition this year was so much fun. I am really proud of my team and I am excited to see what the rest of this season has in store. We just have to stay humble, and really work hard and keep our focus,” said Hunter Dixon (‘18).

The cheer season is very long, and it takes many practices to perfect the routines. Even though all three teams had a good start, there’s still a lot of work to be done. We wish the best of luck to the teams on the rest of their season.