Why MAP test?

Anna Hulstedt, Reporter

There always seems to be a groan in the room when it’s time to take the MAP test. From middle school to sophomore year, students take around 20 MAP tests. But why do they matter?

The MAP scores a student gets is supposed to show a student’s progress at a particular time of the year. The numbers range from 140 and 300, but most highschoolers find their score between 200 and 250. Students get three scores: math, reading, and language usage. MAP scores don’t count towards a student’s grade, so not everyone actually tries on the MAP test, which can screw the test data.

The MAP test is adaptive, so it gets harder if the student is doing better, and gets easier if the student isn’t doing so well. This makes the test a long one, as students can take as long as they need to finish. It does have its advantages, but it makes scheduling and retakes much more difficult for administration to handle.

“Why couldn’t MAP tests be like a PSAT day where students can take the tests all in one day and have some breaks?” said Caitlin Corso (‘20).

This year, students are taking MAP tests right around finals time. This makes it difficult for students to finish their tests because they may get pulled out of a class, taking up study time and their opportunity to prepare in class for their tests.

“I think we should do it before finals so when you’re pulled out of class you don’t have to worry about what you’re missing for finals because a lot of classes do an in-class study sessions. Extra testing during finals weeks adds more stress,” said Bella Kazluski (‘20).

So why are we required to take all of these countless MAP tests? What does the school use our scores for?

Mr. Fry says that “MAP scores will primarily result in interventions for individual or small groups of students. The data may also be used for changes to curriculum and instruction at the end of the school year.”

By using the data, the school can specifically look at what areas students as a whole and as individuals need.

Mr. Fry also stated, “MAP scores, when used in conjunction with attendance and discipline data, may help our school identify the specific impact of attendance and discipline on student achievement.”

Although MAP testing isn’t everyone’s favorite, it sure helps the administration a lot if we at least give it a shot.