Girls Track expects yet another successful season

NIC-10 Conference Championship Meet

Sofi Zeman, Features Editor

Belvidere North is a school that showcases the success of girls athletics. On the list of female-dominated sports is the girls track and field team. With the 2018 season just around the corner, the varsity team is looking to maintain a nearly undefeated record and achieve a second consecutive NIC-10 Conference Championship victory.

On the list of achievements last season is multiple conference meet and invitational victories. Belvidere North took first place in the Huntley and Auburn invites as well as both indoor and outdoor Conference Championship meets. The goal for this season is to continue the victory trend going into this next season.

Multiple records were shattered in 2017. Sprinter Haley Dahl (‘19) beat her own personal record of 10.5s in the 60m hurdles, replacing it with a time of 9.71s. Distance runner Gianna Sagona (‘20)  set the Huntley Indoor Invitational record in the 3200m run by one second, setting the previous meet record of 11:32 min to 11:31. At Auburn, Kate Oteng-Bediako (‘18) beat Dahl’s previous long jump record for the meet (15.1 ft) with an impressive jump of 17.2 ft.

Dahl and Oteng-Bediako continued to break records that day with the help of Sabrina Elder (‘18) and Grace Bundschuh (‘18) in the 4x200m relay. The indoor school record, originally set in 2009, was shattered by the four girls when they raced with a final time of 1:50.82, making for a memorable day in Rockford.

“I’m so proud of the work the team has accomplished. Records are made to be broken,” said Dahl.

But this was last year. Going into this season, few know truly what to expect in the absence of graduated seniors that had once played an important role on this team. But, the coaching staff and athletes on the team are confident that this season will be yet another successful one for the books. As it has been for the past few years, Conference is the goal. But, many runners, jumpers, vaulters, throwers and the like are simply looking forward to getting back out on the track to make improvements within their events.

Anyone interested in joining track is encouraged to do so. The team’s first official practice will be on Monday, January 29 right after school. The beginning of the competitive season will be kicked off at the Huntley High School Indoor Invite at 9AM on Saturday February 24.