Spring Sports

Spring+Sports

Hunter Dixon, Reporter

With still a month until spring sports begin, some have already started to have open gyms. The few sports that have already started are boys track along with baseball and softball.

“So far there has been about four open gyms and you can tell that the team is excited for the season to start. This season will be my last year to play baseball in high school and I’m hoping we have a good and fun last season. So far I am still undecided whether or not I will be playing baseball in college or not. I want to see how the spring season and the summer season goes first,” said  Evan Waddell (‘18).

Another sport that has already started practicing is track. Most of the runners from cross country also do distance for track so they have been working since the cross county season has ended. Official practice does not start until February 5, but non-winter athletes started practicing on January 29.

“I’ve been practicing on my own  by going in and working out before the season starts. I had a hamstring injury last year, so I’ve been stretching and getting in the weight room and gym as much as possible. Hopefully in the long run that will be beneficial for me for the season the come,” said Grace Bunschuch (‘18).

Other spring sports are girls soccer, boys tennis, and boys volleyball. This is a big year for girls soccer as they are now the reigning conference champs and hopefully they can keep the title this year. Their  tryouts are during the last week of February.

“We are coming into this season as reigning conference champions so I think we have a target that we have never had before. We did lose a lot of key players, but we have incoming players from other levels that can fill in the spots. I’m excited for this season and can’t wait to see what we will do,” said Anna Westerberg (‘18).

Tryout dates for spring sports

• Girls softball- February 26
  • Boys baseball – February 26
  • Boys volleyball- March 5
  • Boys tennis-February 26
  • Girls soccer-February 26

All athletes must be registered on 8to18 and have all proper forms on file with the athletic office in order to be eligible on the first day of tryouts.