Belvidere North Ice Sculpting Team

The 2018 Snow Sculpting Team of Abbey Brynolf (’20), Nichole Cho (’19), Trasey Montgomery (’18), and Alex Wallace (’20).

Kaylee Bowman, Reporter

Congratulations to Belvidere North’s ice sculpting team of 2018. They received the Committee’s Choice Award which is quite a well-deserved honor. The team is made of four extremely talented young women of all different grades and skill levels. Abbey Brynolf (‘20), Nichole Cho (‘19), Trasey Montgomery (‘18), and Alex Wallace (‘20) created the wonderful masterpiece titled “Bee Protective.”
Their sculpture displayed a beautiful honey bee placed on top of honeycomb. The focal point was not just chosen for its inevitable beauty, but to make a statement about the decline in the honey bee population. Save the Bees – Be the solution to help protect bees in crisis.
According to the Greenpeace Conservation, “Honey bees — wild and domestic — perform about 80 percent of all pollination worldwide. A Worldwide bee colony collapse is not as big a mystery as the chemical industry claims.
The systemic nature of the problem makes it complex, but not impenetrable. Scientists know that bees are dying from a variety of factors—pesticides, drought, habitat destruction, nutrition deficit, air pollution, global warming and more. Many of these causes are interrelated. The bottom line is that we know humans are largely responsible for the two most prominent causes: pesticides and habitat loss.”
These students stood up for a cause they believe in and it ultimately paid off. It was not an easy job with the lack of snow and the small group of girls, but they persevered and thrived due to their hard work.
“I had an absolute blast creating something out of ice and hanging out with my team. It was hard work but totally worth it,” said Wallace (‘20).

Another big congratulation to the team for a job well done. We can’t wait to see what you all do next season!