Boys Bowling Season Recap

Boys Bowling Season Recap

Rachel Nelson, Reporter

In the 2017-2018 boys bowling season, North finished in 9th place for conference. They won only one match, which was bowled against Jefferson, and lost the other eight, against Auburn, Belvidere, Boylan, East, Harlem, Hononegah, Guilford and Freeport.

Click here to see how the team was standing in the NIC-10 at the end of the season. To see previous weeks results, click on the drop-box and select another week.

The top game for Belvidere North boys bowling was a 300, which was bowled by varsity freshman Nole Hefty (‘21). This game was bowled against Guilford at Don Carter Lanes on 12/18/17. Hefty’s highest series for this season is a 720, which is also the highest series of the team. Hefty finished the season in 23rd place with a 208 average. Click here to see his conference stats for the season.  

“I had a great time this season with the team. I was really excited when I got my 300 and I had the amazing privilege to be on varsity as a freshman,” said Hefty.

The top bowler for the season, based on the scores, would be junior Justin Bragg (‘19). Bragg finished in 15th place with an average of 216. Bragg’s highest game this season is a 289, and his highest series is a 711. His 289 was bowled in the second week of the season against Jefferson. Click here to see Bragg’s conference stats for the season.

“I think I did okay during the season. I didn’t finish as well as I had hoped I would at Sectionals, but I still placed in top 16 for conference,” said Bragg.

Hefty and Bragg both qualified for Sectionals, along with Jonathan Powell (‘19). Powell’s high game for the season is a 245 and his highest series is 631. Click here to see Powell’s conference season stats.

At Regionals, Bragg placed 2nd, Hefty placed 10th and Powell placed 5th.  At Sectionals, none of the boys could score high enough to advance to state. Bragg finished in 27th, Hefty in 85th and Powell in 55th.

Sadly, none of the other bowlers qualified out of Regionals. The other Varsity players are: Cal Taylor (‘20), Patrick Bender (‘20) and Gabe Lord (‘20).

Taylor finished in 52nd place for conference with an average of 184. His high game for the season is 227 and his high series is 625. This was Taylor’s second year on the team, first year on Varsity. He is one of the two two-handed bowlers for North’s Varsity. Click here to see Taylor’s stats for the conference season.

Bender finished in 55th place in conference. He had an average of 181, a high game of 224 and a highs series of 607. This was also Bender’s second year on the team, first on Varsity. Click here to see Bender’s stats for the conference season.

The last Varsity bowler for Belvidere North is Lord. He finished 48th in conference with a 187 average. Lord’s high game this season is a 265 and his high series is a 640. He is the other two-handed bowler for North’s Varsity. This was Lord’s first year bowling for North.   Click here to see Lord’s stats for the conference season.

Thankfully, with no seniors this season, the same boys will be on the team next year. This helps them because the boys all have a good dynamic with each other and with the rest of the team.

To see the results from the Hononegah Regional, click here. For complete results, click here.  

To see results from the Dekalb Sectional, click here. For complete results, click here.