A Night of Pops

A Night of Pops

Mariana Cardoso, Reporter

On February 27, the Belvidere North High School’s chorus classes had their annual Pops concert in Belvidere North’s Cafeteria. The concert had a pre-show where senior students in choraliers performed a solo as part of their grade. The pops concert is a crowd favorite with songs from the pop genre.

Just like previous concerts, mixed choir opened up the concert. Mixed’s first song was Jabba Flow from the movie, Stars Wars: The Force Awakens. Following up was Purple People Eater and their closing performance was Spider Man theme song. They created original transitions for Jabba Flow, exploring from relationships to food, to world peace.

“It was my birthday, glad I got to spend it with my friends in choir and glad I sort of didn’t mess up during my performance so that my mom wouldn’t say that I did bad. And I got cake afterward so that was pretty neat,” said Yesenia Vizguerra (‘20)

Show Choir and Choraliers explored the connection between music and dance movement through choreography created by the students. Show performed Frim Fram Sauce, Scars to Your Beautiful, and Jump. With Scars to your Beautiful, they spoke about the importance of self-love and bettering ourselves. Choraliers sang Better When I’m Dancing, What Does the Fox Say, and  Eye of the Tiger. With Better When I’m Dancing, they expressed the importance of overcoming fears.

Treble Clef traveled around the world with Sleepsong’s “loo li lai lay.” They also sang It’s Raining on Prom Night and Duke’s Place while wearing prom dresses.

Freshman Chorus sang Do Re Mi, Mean, Only Time and Shadowland. The freshmen used Mean to stand up to those pushing them down and with Do Re MI, they showed the audience how choirs do during music rehearsals through solfege hand signs.

Acappella sang numerous stories from Les Miserables. They dove in to build connections into their own lives. Then students were required to present a project on their connections, which were on display in the lobby before and after the show.

At the end of the concert, all choirs came together to sing Shut Up and Dance, with choreography created by a student. Another successful concert goes to the Belvidere North’s Choirs. Next concert is in the spring with awards presented to seniors.