Belvidere North Football Scrimmage

Nico Arena, Reporter

School is back and so are Friday night lights. On Friday, The Belvidere North football team split into two different teams, Navy and Scarlet, and they faced off with each other. The scrimmage was a great event for our community to get together and watch their football team go at it. This event also always helps out the booster club for the athletics, which helps with all of our program’s needs. Navy Captains, Ian Noel and Clayden Davis, picked their team while Scarlet Captains, Joey Paddock and Holden Paddock, picked theirs. Senior Clayden Davis (‘19) says, he will run over everyone on that Scarlet defense. This friendly competition had its ups and downs. It is good for the team to get back on the field and get back in rhyme to have a great season, also getting ready for their week one opponent, The Boylan Titans.
The main goal was for the team to have fun, put on a show and walk away injury free.
Not only was the North Varsity team in action on Friday, but so were the Freshman and Sophomores The Freshman gave JV a fight, but no match to beat them.
This game had a lot of common errors and mistakes, not your ideal high school football matchup. It gave the younger kids a shot to prove themselves on the field and a way to learn and get better. The final score was, 30-18 Jv…maybe next year Freshman.
Now that the boys are off the field, the men followed right behind them. Varsity was finally ready to put on a show and they did. Each team offensively had lighting speed out of their backfield, making it really tough for some defensive players. Also, if you watch North football often, you know that they like the old school ground and pound offensive style, which means that they love to establish a run game and use different ways to get their fast and powerful runners in space. They use this because their formation is very hard to cover and it is also a triple option system that can be very deadly when all points are executing, but it wasn’t like that traditional B-North style.The first pass Coach Oldani called was a twenty-five yard touchdown pass to Brock Ashens, thrown by Jackson Kirane. This put them up 7-0. Holden Paddock the starting quarterback, didn’t like the way that touchdown made him feel, so he lead his offense down the field and to change that scoreboard. The good ole triple option fought all the way down the field and Paddock ran a 20- yard touchdown to tie the game 7-7.The Navy team had their chance to answer back. Right after a touch back on kickoff, Josh Triplet gets a solid run, 60 yards to the end zone and puts Navy up 14-7. Scarlet puts together a very long drive, and ends up chewing up the clock for an entire quarter. But thankfully, they finished off their drive with 6 points followed by a field goal attempt that is good to tie the game up again at 14-14. It was now time for the second half of play, Scarlet starts off with the ball and doesn’t get the ball moving. They are forced to pass on a third down situation, Paddock tries to connect with one of his receivers Matthew Bucher (‘20) which gets denies and is forced to punt the ball away. While Scarlet struggles, Navy does not they end up putting a drive together which put them up 21-14. Scarlet looks to answer back as fast as they can. They have another very long drive on their hands and they really need a score. Getting to the ball after every play and rushing down the field, but they just can’t put anything together. Fourth down comes to the offense, but they are shocked by Navy’s defense and turn the ball over on a fumble. End of the game and Navy decides not to knee the ball and waste the clock but to give the ball to Junior Bob Wilsey (‘20) to put the game away and give the fans a little bit more to cheer about. Wilsey was given a simple run play right up the middle for a 75 yard Navy touchdown. Both ends of the ball celebrate in the endzone which makes the final score 28-14. Junior Elliot Powers says, “It was a great time to have the feel of playing on the field again. This was a great event to show the audience what Belvidere North football was all about and mainly just to have fun”.