Happy Death Day 2U Movie Release Changed

Marissa Johnson, Reporter

The film Happy Death Day 2U is the sequel to the 2017 flick Happy Death Day, which was described as Groundhog Day meets Scream, and was written and directed by Christopher Landon. The movie was scheduled for release February 14.

Universal Pictures has changed the release of its horror sequel Happy Death Day 2U to Feb. 13, so that it does not coincide with the first anniversary of the Parkland school shooting. On Feb. 14, 2018.

Fred Guttenberg, whose daughters name is Jaime, was killed in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Guttenberg made a public plea to Universal Pictures to change the Feb. 14 release date of the upcoming film Happy Death Day 2U and it has officially been changed.

Fred Guttenberg via twitter: “My daughter and 16 others were killed on February 14th. Universal Studios is releasing a move a movie called Happy Death Day 2 U? I get the pun on Valentines Day, for me it will always be the day my daughter was murdered.”

In addition to changing the date, Universal has also decided not to screen the film in Parkland and the surrounding areas. “The studio has decided not to show the film in Parkland and the surrounding areas,” says the rep. “Outdoor, digital and in-theatre marketing for the film will be suspended in that market. The studio understands the importance of memorializing the February 14 date as an opportunity to continue to allow the Parkland community to heal.”

Fred Guttenberg via twitter: “Very happy to announce that I just got off the phone with executives at Universal Studios. They will be moving the release date of the movie off of February 14th and they will also be taking steps to address the local needs of the Parkland community. This was a great outcome.”