North Marching Band First Official Sporting Event of the Year

Anne Rutherford, Reporter

When the Blue Thunder play Rockford East tonight, 140 of the football team’s biggest supporters will be marching along in tune: the Belvidere North Marching Band. 

North’s football team has consistently been a playoff qualifying team and has always had a strong fanbase from students and teachers alike. But some of the most vocal supporters are members of the prestigious North marching band.  

Mr. Steve Wolfgram is the new music teacher at Belvidere North, and the band’s first sporting event was the Aug. 23 scrimmage game. 

“It went very well,” said Mr. Wolfgram, when he was asked about last week’s performance. Mr. Wolfgram added, “They are really wanting to do their best and are working hard to get there. They have a tremendous amount of unity and are working to produce a great show.” 

The band will play three pieces of music during halftime, songs from various musicals. The first will be ‘Phantom of the Opera’ from the play of the same name. The next song will be ‘I Dreamed a Dream’ from the play Les Miserable. The third and final song will be “The Greatest Show’ from the movie musical, The Greatest Showman. 

The band is led by three drum major students, Grace Dedmond (‘20), Emily Dohl (‘21) and Blake LaBarg (‘20). These students will take charge and lead the others in a march against the E-Rabs!