Mara Parker is the New Illinois DECA President

Lily Bakulski, News Editor

Here at Belvidere North High School, our DECA chapter consists of 38 members. Within those members, we have our very own Illinois DECA president and her name is Mara Parker (‘20). Mara has accomplished so much within her DECA, from being part of the state officer team her junior year and being elected as Illinois DECA President her senior year. 

Being president of such a huge organization comes with hard work and preparation. Mara made a quizlet with 100+ Illinois DECA terms and names that she had to memorize for a test that she had to take in order to qualify to run for state officer. She also practice interviewed with Mr. Young and Mr. Oldani because once you pass the test, you have to interview for the state officer position. She also had to memorize two speeches that she would give if elected for the state officer team and for President.

After asking Mara what this meant for her future, she said that she will get to “lead an amazing group of state officers” who will help her better the Illinois association of DECA that contains 3300 members. Her and her team will also get the plan the state conference, help grow state membership and help the chapters function to the best of their abilities. Parker hopes to pursue a career in international relations/economics with hopes to go into politics and become a part of the government of the United States of America.

“Go and get involved. Just go for it. Don’t be anyone else, just be yourself because it will get you a lot further in life,” said Mara Parker (‘20).

Mara hopes to attend college in Chicago, New York or Florida.

Belvidere North would like to congratulate Mara for her accomplishments in DECA and we would like to wish her the best of luck for the years to come.