LSU Beats Clemson

Holden Paddock, Writer

The College Football  National Championship was on Monday January 13 featuring two  talented teams in #3 ranked Clemson and #1 ranked LSU. Both teams were undefeated at 14-0. Clemson and LSU have top tier quarterbacks in Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow. Both are predicted to go top ten in the NFL draft next year. Joe Burrow is a senior and Trevor Lawrence is a sophomore. Joe Burrow is also the Heisman Trophy winner of the college football league, which is the same thing as the MVP. 

Clemson started out strong taking a 6-0 lead with a Trevor Lawrence 1 yard touchdown run. They hit the extra point a had an early 7-0 lead. A few plays later LSU’s Joe Burrow threw  a 52 yard touchdown pass to Ja’marr Chase tying it at 7 -7. The second quarter started with Clemson taking a 10-7 lead with a 52 yard field goal from B.T Potter. Clemson then got a big stop on defense and got the ball back and scored again with a Tee Higgins 36 yard touchdown run. 

The rest of the second quarter was all LSU where they scored 21 unanswered points. The first one was a three yard Joe Burrow run, the second was a 14 yard touchdown pass to Chase and the last was a 6 yard touchdown pass to Thaddeus Young who is Randy Moss’ kid. Clemson now had a 28-17 lead going into the second half. 

The second half kicked off with Clemson scoring first on a 3 yard touchdown run by Travis Etienne. It was now a very tight game only a field goal away from tying it up. But Joe Burrow, showed why he won the Hesiman, and threw another touchdown pass to Moss to take the 35-25 lead. Clemson has a huge possession coming up being down two scores and they ended up turning it over with a Trevor Lawrence scrambling fumble. 

The fourth quarter was quiet with one touchdown pass by Joe Burrow to Terrance Marshall. LSU was the dominant team throughout the whole game and they deserved the championship. Joe Burrow had a total of six touchdowns where he threw for five of them and ran for one. LSU had zero turnovers which helped them be victorious. Clemson had a total of 394 total offensive yards where LSU had a total of 628 total yards. It was a great National Championship game and a lot of players featured in this game are hoping to make a name for themselves in the NFL someday.