Belvidere North Girls Basketball

Holden Paddock, Writer

The Belvidere North girls basketball team has had a great first half of the season. Their overall record is 21-6 and they are 12-2 in conference. During this stretch, on January 7,  North beat Hononegah 57-30. This was the first time in school history that North beat Hononegah. During the game seven players scored which means North’s ball movement was great. Madison Dierks (‘20) led all scorers with 21 points. Natalie Hogan (‘22) dropped  14 and Crystal Sotelo (‘21) had a quiet 12. Carlee Fridley’s (‘22) ball handling skills helped the team close out the game in the fourth quarter. 

Throughout the game the energy was high and the players on the court fed off the crowd and the bench’s energy. The next game for North is home against Harlem on Feb. 10. North has some really talented sophomores this year that are producing big numbers. This is a key reason why the team is doing so well. Madison Dierks, a senior leader on the team, is also having a very impressive season. 

The team defeated Belvidere 57-28 on January 30. Horgan led all scores with 23 points and Dierks followed with 14.  January 31 is North’s senior night at 6 pm as they will honor their seven seniors against Freeport. North is looking forward to finishing the season off strong and making a playoff run. Looking through film for their next game, Harlem is tough, but nothing the Blue Thunder can’t handle.  They already beat Harlem once at home and are ready to go beat them again on February 11

. Madison Diercks said, “I think it’s going pretty good. We are doing a lot better than we have in previous years. We have done what we wanted to do, but we still have a chance to get first.. If we beat Boylan and Auburn we will be tied for first with Auburn.” 

The girls are looking to make history this season and it is looking good so far. Come out and support this talented team as they become the best girl’s team in North history.