DECA Sectionals

Provided by Belvidere North DECA

BNHS DECA club

Matt Belinson, Reporter

The Belvidere North DECA club is a growing organization here at North.

Jared Young, a business teacher here at North says, “DECA is a business club that teaches and gives hands-on experience with leadership, networking, marketing, social activities and philanthropy.”

DECA had sectionals on Feb 2 at the Rosemont Convention Center, in a suburb of Chicago. The students completed events that required participants to take two written tests. One test in an economics test and the other is a career cluster exam.

The separate task is to prepare and explain a “role- play”, to a judge. The process is basically an interview where the judge will ask you questions based on what event you chose.

If your event was Marketing or Hospitality and Tourism, then the judge would ask you how you would handle business scenarios and you have to explain terms of business too. Credit, ethics and emotions are the main topics.

Some students from North qualified for state. Mr.Young was pleased with the results. “We went ready to compete this year, and we competed way better this year, our results showed it.”The participants got medals if they finished in the top ten in their event and plaques if they finished in the top four.

Leah Hoffman (‘18), got second in her event, Dain and Connor Kuss (‘18), finished in the top ten in their individual events. Izzy Bratter (‘17), also finished in the top ten in her event, Accessories and Apparel Marketing.

Jacob Hofstetter (‘16) has high thoughts about what their chapter can do in the future. “Expectations have been way higher than years passed and I believe we can gain more and more students. I hope we can win at state and hopefully nationals.”

Mr. Young has similar thoughts on state and beyond.

“We will qualify for nationals and I believe we can get at least one or two people in the top four in their events.”

State takes place March 10-11.