Bright future for girls basketball

Team+holds+hands+during+national+anthem+

Photo provided by VIP Photography

Team holds hands during national anthem

Connor Walsh, Reporter

Conference play is now over for the girls basketball team, and they now head into Regional play with a top five finish in the NIC-10.  Their overall record for the season was 16-11, with a conference record of 9-7.  

The team also had individual success, as Taylor Martocci (16’) became the school’s all time leading scorer.   The team also featured a freshman, Brianna Lake, who was the only underclassman on the roster.  

The team started off Regionals against Auburn, who finished fourth in the conference.  The team lost against Auburn in their previous two meetings, but they have been competitive in both games, losing their first game 57-52, and their second game 51-47.

The regional game was again a tight contest throughout, but North’s efforts came up short, falling 66-54. Auburn advanced into the regional championship game following the win, and fell to Huntley 66-40.  

“We played hard until the very end,” said Payton Lindsay(‘17) “but in the end we couldn’t pull out a victory.”

Despite the loss, the team has a bright future in front of them, as they are returning eight players from this years team.  

“There is a lot of reasons to be excited for next season,” said Lindsay, “we have a lot of players coming back for next year, and we should have a pretty solid team.”